Under general direction, is responsible for all aspects of the physical construction of signs. Sign Makers are responsible for assembling signs from computer cut vinyl (vector vinyl output and EDGE output), Solvent printer, UV flatbed printer and various substrates. Sign assembly includes preparing substrates for applying vinyl and UV printing according to written instructions. Sign Maker must also proofread signs and conduct quality assurance to ensure the efficient production of quality, accurate signs.
- Follow a layout to place or print computer-generated graphic image(s) on a predetermined substrate or medium.
- Accurately prepare substrates for vinyl and UV printed applications. This may include cutting, painting, laminating, cleaning and maintaining the substrates.
- Weed excess vinyl from computer cut images. Weeding techniques vary with size, type of vinyl and complexity of image. Sign Maker must know how and when to use each technique.
- Perform quality assurance measures pre- and post-construction by accurately reading and interpreting a Work Order and then proofing for errors or unacceptable standards (i.e., bubbles, ragged edges, loose seams).
- Communicate with other employees and customers in a calm and professional manner; express self verbally and listen well.
- Report inventory levels and reorder needs to the manager as needed.
- Help unload and store raw materials; clean and maintain storage areas.
- Maintain production rate consistency; meet or exceed established minimum production rates per hour. Bonuses are available and attainable.
- Work on different projects simultaneously.
- Perform basic installations (i.e., vinyl graphics, vehicle graphics, wall murals, window graphics, 3D Lettering, vehicle wraps and much more. )
- Keep the production area neat, clean and organized.
- Serve as a backup for answering the phone if the owner, manager and sales/service employees are busy assisting other customers.
- Understand the ordering process enough to take an order if necessary.
- Serve as back-up for CGD as necessary.
- And anything else that needs to be done.
Any combination of education, training or general experience that would provide the required skill and knowledge base sufficient for job performance. This could include:
- Sufficient formal or informal education to assure the ability to use simple math (adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing whole numbers and fractions, as well as converting fractions to decimals and vica versa)
- Previous experience as a sign maker.
- Pass all assessments/inventories administered during the hiring process.
Knowledge:Correct English language usage including spelling, grammar and punctuation; ability to proofread; reading and interpreting a ruler; using a calculator.
Skills: Weeding and taping; aligning vinyl on a substrate; using a squeegee; operating light, but potentially dangerous power equipment; cutting substrates and sign finishing.
Desirable Qualifications/Traits: Easy-going, adaptable personality; positive “get it done” attitude; flexibility to work (and be compensated for) overtime on occasion; ability to work at a fast pace; an eye for color and design.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ability to stand on feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 50 or more pounds.
- Flexibility to lean over a waist-high table and use back and forth hand motion to apply vinyl letters and graphics to a substrate.
- Ability to work under pressure to output high volume, high quality work.
- Ability to use light power equipment.
- Ability to use ladders and scaffolding for installations outside of store.
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
- No supervisory requirements.
- Reports directly to production/store manager or owner/franchisee.